Advertisement

Micro-dreads

topic posted Tue, July 10, 2007 - 9:00 PM by  Kisaya Rayne
Share/Save/Bookmark
I'm debating on actually doing this to my hair rather than having falls or attachments or something. Has anyone done this to their hair? How do you actually do it? How easy is it to maintain your hair? Is washing it all that difficult (I'm afraid it'll drive me nuts)?
posted by:
Kisaya Rayne
Austin
Advertisement
  • Re: Micro-dreads

Wed, July 11, 2007 - 9:37 PM
    if you have any doubt at all try fake dread installs first. then if you find you don't like it just unbraid and you have your hair back. and if you love them then you know you can be happy with dreads. i've made myself some great micro dreads and love them, but find i get bad headaches from the tension and weight, so i doun't wear them often. fake dreads also offer the option of changeing style when ever you like, like changing hair color without dye. plus you can have insta length if you want. you can have your dreads basicly as long as you want.

anyway these ones are just braided into your hair in little dread sized sections. if you do color match dreads you really can't even tell they aren't real.

and again if they do drive you nuts just take them out!

Wed, July 11, 2007 - 10:40 PM
      Where do you find fake dread installs? Or how can I make them. I've never dealt with anything that attaches in my hair because nothing seems to stay, though I suppose if it were braided in, that should stay. It's one of the reasons I don't wear any of those nice headpieces either. Having really smooth hair sucks sometimes. Anyhow, I'd definitely love to give it a try.

Thu, July 12, 2007 - 6:03 AM
        Talk to Farasha (aka Ellen) .... she's in the friends section of my profile. She makes her own dreads and other hair things, and recently got micro minis in her hair (and then cut it again - she's always doing different things).

Sun, July 15, 2007 - 7:35 PM
        well layla is the dread queen, find her in my friends hun, laylas locks on here also.

but if you are gonna make them your self which is super labor intensive i know i've done it, just google the how toos.

these will stay , gauranted they are braided in so they can't go anywhere. and see people.tribe.net/djlayla/p...28f3ebdc86 they even work in real short hair, way shorter than yours.

anyway feel free to ask further questions i'll answer or help how ever i can!
  • Unsu...

Re: Micro-dreads

Mon, July 16, 2007 - 4:38 PM
    I agree that you should try out dread extensions before dreading your own hair. I always wanted dreads until I got some extensions put in. While they were fun, they were not for me. After 3 days I wanted to brush my hair so badly!! Plus my head got all itchy from the strain of having the little hairs caught up in the braid/dreads. Now I have dread falls and I love them.

This thread has a bunch of info you could probably use:

tribes.tribe.net/diycostum...631e03dc96

Thu, August 9, 2007 - 11:13 PM
    Are you actually talking about dreading you hair, only very skinny dreads?

My natural hair is dreaded. Washing is easy, but you should use a non-residue shampoo like Dr. Bronners or DreadHQ and KnottyBoy sell some (I use Knotty's, cos it smells like peppermint candy...). Dreads need a little attention to stay neat to begin with (it's not compulsory, but most prefer to), but after they mature you basically don't have to do anything save wash when they get dirty (1-2 a week is average, some people can wash less), and they're a very low-maintenance hairstyle. One thing about skinny dreads is that they are often harder to keep neat, and don't lock as fast. Though, once they do, they're fine. They just take a bit more maintenance, more often than fatter dreads.

You do get itchy to begin with until your scalp gets used to it. Took me about 2-3 weeks. When they're just babies, you have to be gentle washing them.

You DONT however, have to shave your head when you want to get rid of them. With a lot of time, patience and conditioner, I have seen people even with that most rock hard dreads that are 6-8 years old be able to comb their dreads out. Shaving is just the quick and easy option.

If your looking at dreading you hair, I really suggest the Livejournal community Get Up Dread Up. The guys here are super knowledgeable and all dreadheads, plus the memories section offers awesome tips that aren't tainted for the sake of selling products (like dreadhq and knotty can be...)

...if you're not talking about dreading you actual hair... ignore me :P

Recent topics in "Makeup and Hair for Dancers"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Anyone use "clip in" hair extensions? ~Sasha~ 17 April 11, 2014
hair extensions... Unsubscribed 2 April 5, 2014
younger women looking for older men serena 0 April 2, 2014
Permanent wigs Unsubscribed 26 December 8, 2013