Advertisement

tips for steam punk makeup and hair?

topic posted Tue, July 8, 2008 - 12:39 AM by  Elska aka Saxon
Share/Save/Bookmark
I'm going to a con in August with some friends who are doing Girl Genius cosplay (think steam punk).
Unfortunately I have no clue for what to do for make up (I have ONE idea for eye make up) and hair (I don't want to do a sock bun anymore)

If it helps, my hair is pretty thick, about Bra-strap length (FINALLY!), will be hennaed for the con and I want to be able to incorporate the combs and headpiece shown below:

combs
i169.photobucket.com/albums/...1173.jpg

headpiece
i169.photobucket.com/albums/...s012.jpg

NOTE: If none of this makes sense, it's because I'm half-awake at the moment so leave a comment with a question and I'll try clearring stuff up when I'm MORE AWAKE!!!
posted by:
Elska aka Saxon
Portland
Advertisement
  • Re: tips for steam punk makeup and hair?

Tue, July 8, 2008 - 4:12 AM
    OK, I have to risk sounding like an abject idiot, but what is steam punk? I'm sure I'm out of the loop movie-wise, but on what is it based? I would love to be able to throw some ideas at you, but I need to first know what YOU'RE talking about so that I stand a chance at knowing what I'M talking about LOL.

PS: Love your profile pic... I have that statue.
    Taz

Tue, July 8, 2008 - 5:31 AM
      Note... no means an expert... kind of new to steampunk but there is a lot of it I really relate to, so I figure I'll speak up.

steam punk is like gothic... has a music culture... has a sub culture... has it's own clothing thing... its a little vague in the same way gothic can be hard to describe. The best way I heard it described was romantic victorian meets futuristic:
      > throw in some industrial revolution stuff with gears and cogs and such and you wind up very future looking but very soft with the ruffles and lace. I think Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow kind of caught a good imagery of it if you have ever seen it.

you find a lot of WWII era pilot hats with the ear flaps... the big round looking googles... and then lace and things.

it's fun. Abney Park is my favorite steampunk sound...

there is a tribe around here on it as well... wikiepedia also has an interesting blurb on it if you believe anything off there. =)

to answer the other question... as for hair... either teased with a flower and lots of hair spray or just wear your hat + ear flaps... no hair required.

make up... hmmm you can't go wrong with the classical look with high cheek bones and eyeliner and whatever really flatters your eye colour... vamp it up with some darker shade smudged into the lashline for a little pizzaz... soft lips... there but not screaming. IMHO. good luck post pictures... I am always fascinated by what people come up with for this area!

Tue, July 8, 2008 - 7:40 AM
    In terms of style, it's really an blend of Victorian fashion (hence the "steam" part) & nearly any military-style you'd like to choose from -- from Revolutionary to WWII. So for both hair & makeup, I would look at Victorian styles and styles from WWI & WWII (20's-40's), then "punk them out" a little -- like Basha was talking about with ratted hair and whatnot.

As for getting your combs to stay in without using a sock bun, buy those little clear plastic rubber bands. Then select the section of hair that you would like to put the comb in & pull out a small section of hair from that area. Wrap the clear plastic rubber band around the base of that section (the smaller the section of hair & the smaller the rubber band, the easier to blend it down so it doesn't look like a mini ponytail poking out at the top of your head). Then put the comb in on top of the rubber band. You may need to cross-brace with a bobby pin, but it should hold like a dream.

Wed, July 9, 2008 - 12:28 PM
    Yayy Girl Genius! I love that comic.

I think those combs are a little too soft and pretty for steampunk. Just IMO of course.

I second the suggestion of a cute hat or fascinator with some feathers/tulle, maybe some brass bits and bobs for decoration. Makeup would probably be fairly neutral, maybe with some metallic accents such as bronzes and coppers.

Wed, July 9, 2008 - 2:59 PM
      I did a quick search for steampunk makeup on flickr, looks like anything goes.

www.flickr.com/search/

And steampunk bellydance.

www.flickr.com/search/

There's some really good ideas in there.

Wed, July 9, 2008 - 3:21 PM
        hey, cool--most of those photos in the steampunk bellydance link are of my troupe.

i based my hair on Victorian updo styles and then added feathers, ribbons, silk flowers, and a hat. damn hat gave me a headache, but it was cute!

Wed, July 9, 2008 - 6:45 PM
          PS Sandi of Highbeam Bindis made a steampunk bindi of tiny clock gears. not sure if she has any more in stock.
          • Unsu...

Re: tips for steam punk makeup and hair?

Wed, July 9, 2008 - 10:32 PM
            Your combs & headpiece are lovely, but don't seem steam punk to me at all.

on the otherhand.. a fascinator with a face veil would be.. perhaps with some gears as medallions.

blacks, olive drab, khaki,.. earthy tones all part of the steam punk palette to me.. dashes of red. Technobits. hair smoothed down.. or it's opposite.. like you just survived an explosion from your latest experiment in time travel. Make up I would do a very porcelain finish on the face.. dark mysterious eyes.. quiet, yet sultry.

Fri, July 11, 2008 - 8:02 PM
              I think you hit it on the head, Adele.

I love the mussed hair look....throw some goggles on and you're good to go.

Sat, July 12, 2008 - 1:20 PM
                Girl Genius is definitely a goggle wearing look. As far as makeup and hair, depends on what sort of character you're trying to go for. My fave Girl Genius characters are more of the scrapper variety. They're to busy getting things done to worry about fixing their hair and makeup, so I'd go every day style in both of those cases, nothing special.

If you're going for the fancy lady look, an updo works well with combs, something Victorian-esque. You can tart up your makeup if you're going for the Actress look (and there are plenty of those types in Girl Genius), or make it more natural if you're just going for Lady.
  • Thanks and another question(s)

Sun, July 13, 2008 - 2:36 PM
    Thank you everyone for you suggestion, I have a lot of ideas bouncing around for make up and a hairstyle I need to practice. My new question is about the fascinator: Is there any instructions on how to make one that doesn't use a comb?

Also, I need recommendations for cheap primers but good primers :)
    • Re: Thanks and another question(s)

Thu, July 17, 2008 - 7:01 AM
      As far as primers go, IMO you get what you pay for. The good ones are not cheap, and the cheap ones are not good. But, also IMO, primers are one of the few things that you should splurge on. Pay for a good primer & you can use the cheapo eyeshadows & blushes with excellent results.

btw, do you mean a face primer or an eye primer? Also, you might post that question as a new thread - it'll get more attention/answers that way.

Recent topics in "Makeup and Hair for Dancers"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Do u love night club for fun? Unsubscribed 0 August 23, 2014
How to make bindis? Ayperi 46 August 23, 2014
dating younger women of your dream ellen 0 July 16, 2014
Anyone use "clip in" hair extensions? ~Sasha~ 17 April 11, 2014