Advertisement

80's rock/punk rock makeup...

topic posted Fri, March 2, 2007 - 8:44 AM by  ~Sasha~
Share/Save/Bookmark
OK Divas, here's another one for ya.

I'm doing an 80's rock/punk rock gig. Think all black: leather, fishnets, boots, chains, etc. So the makeup has to be on the dramatic/rocker side. What would youse guys recommend? I need some inspiration. Back in the 80's, I was a corporate yuppie! hee hee hee!

Also, hair ideas? I have below shoulder length shaggy layered hair. No mohawks please! :o)

~S~
posted by:
~Sasha~
Phoenix
Advertisement
  • Re: 80's rock/punk rock makeup...

Fri, March 2, 2007 - 10:12 AM
    Go "Material Girl" Madonna!

Fri, March 2, 2007 - 10:17 AM
      LOL!!! I don't think Madonna is the look they're going after, although I might borrow the idea of hers of tying something around my hair (to keep some of it out of my face). I bought a pair of black panty hose and I plan on using one of the legs as a hairband. But I think something edgier is the look I need to go for. I'm going to be wearing low, slouchy ankle boots with heels, a fishnet body stocking, low-slung suede mini skirt, fingerless leather gloves, leather collar with spikes, studs and chains, a chain belt I made out of chain I bought from Home Depot, and hopefully (if I can find it today) a leather bra or halter top (over the fishnet body stocking). Gonna have to figure out where to put some safety pins!

So, it sounds like dark, overly-lined and shadowed eyes, heavy blush and lips, and hair that looks like I styled it with an egg beater. Oh, and maybe some temporary bright red streaks! GOT IT! WOO HOO!

Thanks!!

Tue, March 6, 2007 - 12:18 AM
        teasing teasing teasing! you have to tease the crap out of your hair and use a cheap hair spray l;ike aqua net. a trick is to turn your head upside down when you pray it. and spray the liveing crap out of it! Pink and blue eyeshadows are important too! and yes outragiuose amounts of really pinky pink blush. don't forget wrist warmers. i sugest ripping your body stocking and saftey pinning it back together along the tears. if it's not too expensive to do that.

Fri, March 2, 2007 - 10:21 AM
    you want 80's punk check out bands like siousie and the banshees and x-ray specs.

Fri, March 2, 2007 - 10:54 AM
      You'll need paaaaaaaaale pale, deathly ill looking skin with either black or dark blue lipstick or both done in 4 sections like a checkerboard on your mouth would be cool. Black, nearly black or dark blue nail polish is a must too and if you're going to do safety pins, I recommend the size used for pinning a kilt or wraparound skirt closed if you can find that size. I was a nightclub crawler in the early-80s to the mid-90s so let me know if ya have any other questions. =O)

Oi!
      Caerann

Tue, March 6, 2007 - 12:20 AM
        bright colored nails are good too, but you have to have at least three diffrent colors. a bright bluse a black and maybe a yellow or some crap. i wouldn't go quite as big as kilt size on the pins, but large.

Fri, March 2, 2007 - 11:49 AM
    As posted above, Siouxsie Sioux and Nina Hagen were the 80s punk style queens. Neither of these ladies were big on shaving their hair, so that's in your favor. They achieved their looks more with make-up, clothing and attitude. If you can get your hands on a banana clip, you can echo the silhouette of a mohawk, and also give your hair some volume, whilst keeping it from being able to fall into your face. Careful, there's a fine line between 80s punk and 80s metal glam. If your hair goes to big, and if the look goes from "tough with maybe little sexy" to "sexy with a bad girl edge" that means you've gone into Motley Crue territory. Punk was sometimes sexy, but on it's own terms, not in an MTV fantasy kind of way. More in a "if you dare" way.

Siouxsie's home page with a billion photos and looks
    www.vamp.org/Siouxsie/Images/

Nina Hagen seems to be inbetween sites, and her interim site doesn't have a single image page, but every page is loded with pictures.
    www.beepworld.de/members77/ninahagendas/

Women in Punk
    www.punk77.co.uk/punkettes/features.htm
  • Unsu...

Re: 80's rock/punk rock makeup...

Fri, March 2, 2007 - 12:22 PM
    Mmmm for the uber-Barbie pink matte lips...

Fri, March 2, 2007 - 12:35 PM
      Look up Debra Harry, Adam Ant, Billy Idol and David Bowie too.. They are 80's icons..
      Think big hair, held up with gel and Ice Mist hairspray. Very high heels with tiny stilletos..
      Perhaps add a head band too.. Tight leg jeans or mini skirts.. Usually plaid..
      Watch the Rocky Horror Picture show! Leather jackets with big shoulders.. Oopps any jacket with big shoulder pads! That's what i can remember.. Eekkkk , am i that old?
      TTYS, KathleenA

Fri, March 2, 2007 - 8:02 PM
    Wendy O Williams too!

Sat, March 3, 2007 - 12:37 PM
      You girls are a hoot! Thanks for all the advice and the links. The gig is on Tuesday. I'l be in planning mode until then. Hmmmm... I know I'm blurring the lines between rock and punk rock, but the idea of the "Robert Palmer Clone" eye makeup is suddenly appealing to me again. Remember those chicks from the Robert Palmer videos? Simply Irrisistable!! ;o)

Oh, and I FOUND a black leather bra... it even has studs! WOO HOO!!

YES... will definitely post pics.

Oh, and PS, back in the 80's, I was blonde and had what my friend and hairstylist at the time called the "Cosmo Cover." Think long, big, voluminous, looks-like-I'm-standing-in-front-of-a-blowing-fan look. She said that every cover of Cosmo had that style. Yes, I burned those photos too.

hee hee hee! I'm having waaaaaay too much fun with this.

~S~

Recent topics in "Makeup and Hair for Dancers"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Do u love night club for fun? Unsubscribed 0 August 23, 2014
How to make bindis? Ayperi 46 August 23, 2014
dating younger women of your dream ellen 0 July 16, 2014
Anyone use "clip in" hair extensions? ~Sasha~ 17 April 11, 2014